10.21.2011

argentina: day seven and eight

Photo from here.
After our early flight from Neuquén, we arrived back in Buenos Aires and headed straight to San Telmo, a historic neighborhood full of antique shops and trendy boutiques. From the little I saw of Buenos Aires, this was by far my favorite neighborhood. There were so many beautiful passages, indoor markets and colonial buildings to gawk at.
Photo from here.
After lunch, we headed to my other favorite place in Buenos Aires - the Recoleta Cemetery. Recoleta is where Argentina's richest and most established patrons are buried and it's truly a beautiful place (seriously, I probably took two hundred photos, alas).
Photo from here.
We also visited El Ateneo (above), a bookstore housed in a former theater - incredible. For dinner, we went a great parilla out in Belgrano, Buenos Aires' Chinatown, which was culturally fascinating - doesn't matter where you go in the world, Chinatown is Chinatown.
Photo from here.
We returned to San Telmo for our last day. I could have easily spent all day wandering around the antique stalls. I bought two small paintings that I'll photograph once I'm able to again. We had a great lunch at Aldo's (below), saw a bit of the Bolivian parade, walked around Palermo and then it was time to head to the airport.
Photo from here.
Argentina - I'll see you again!

No comments: