3.31.2010

how to make charoset

Since moving back to Los Angeles, I've been spending a lot more time with family. Having not been to a Passover seder in thirteen years, it came as a surprise to learn that I was not only expected to cook something, I was also expected not to join in the hunt for the hidden matzo (for which there is a monetary prize - a part of the evening usually restricted to child participation). I'm old - I get it. My assignment was to make charoset, which embarrassingly enough, I had to look up online. Turns out, it's very easy and quite delicious - tasty enough that it seems a shame to only eat it once a year. I purchased nearly all the ingredients at the farmers market, and the process is exceedingly easy.
Chop apples. Try not to give yourself a blister. Toast, then chop walnuts. Mix in a bowl with golden raisins, honey, cinnamon and lemon juice. Add kosher sweet wine if you have it, but it's not necessary. That's it!
For exact proportions, follow recipe here (courtesy of Food Network).

No comments: