11.15.2008

not quitting my day job, or attempting to learn calligraphy in one night

My first calligraphy class was a minor disappointment, albeit a lovely experience; I just thought I would be better at it. This is a trap that a fair amount of creative people fall into - because you are good at one craft does not necessarily mean that you will be good at another (for example, knitting does not equal ceramics). I'm not a good drawer, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise that I'm not good at calligraphy. To be fair, Michele (our extraordinary patient instructor) has been doing this for over twenty years.

Some of her beautiful work:


Supplies:

Like everything else, the key is to practice. I'm not posting my worksheet (it really sucked) - Mary and Anna's came out a lot better:

No comments: